Sunday 31 March 2013

Peeps Show (Happy Easter!)


I absolutely needed to share this HI-LA-RI-OUS article D sent me a while back, which documents how Peeps are made. I am a big Peeps fan – not so much because of their taste, but mostly because they are so cute slash creepy. (Ahhh... the unique but thrilling combination of cute/creepy; a rare gift!)

Cute fact: did you know that Peeps were created in 1953? And that 2 BILLION Peeps are produced every year? Creepy fact: Peeps are insoluble in acetone or water. Ish. Now that’s food for thought.
 
Purple Peeps on the conveyor belt.
 
According to The New York Times, “It takes six minutes to make a Peep. Ingredients are mixed, air is injected and the emerging Peep is blasted with a sugar shower and decorated with two tiny eyes made of edible wax.”
 
Sugar coating


The eye attachment station

 
‘‘No one Peeps chick is the same as another,’’ claims Matthew Pye, the company’s marketing director. ‘‘Each one has its own personality.’’

Eye placement guidelines


Peeps rejects (insert sad face)
 
 
 
Peep away; I want to her from you! What’s your guilty pleasure?

 

12 comments:

  1. Glad you like the article! The reject peeps made me sad - I would love them just the way they are (and eat them, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Insoluble in water?! I thought they were pure sugar... and corn syrup, etc... but still! I love an Easter Peep or four, but any other time of year, it just wouldn't be okay. Happy Weekend, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to have you back on the blog...a...roll! Peeps! How very you! Never could understand what the attraction was. Hmmm... My guilty pleasure: Laura Secord Easter Eggs. i know I know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peeps are delish! When are you posting again though? Love your instagram, but I am in need of a blog post!

    Hannah from I am a lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I?ve Been Exploring For A Bit For Any High-quality Articles Or Blog Posts On This Kind Of Area . Exploring In Yahoo I At Last Stumbled Upon This Web Site. Reading This Information So I Am Happy To Convey That I've An Incredibly Good Uncanny Feeling I Discovered Exactly What I Needed. I Most Certainly Will Make Sure To Do Not Forget This Web Site And Give It A Glance Regularly. try here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some really nice and utilitarian info on this website, likewise I think the pattern has got great features. ラブドール

    ReplyDelete