Tuesday 24 January 2012

Interview with Karine Bassal

I met Montreal-based artist Karine Bassal in 2004, and attended her first exhibition three years later. I am the proud owner of a fantastic 20 x 20 inch painting, which depicts a close-up of a bright blue eye with lashes so lush and skin so velvety, it makes me envious. Painted in oil (and not air brushed as many believe), Karine’s paintings portray women who are strong, confident, and not afraid to look at you directly in the eye.  

1. Nat P. by Karine Bassal / 2. Best purchase: leopard heals! / 3. Loving Mark Rothko / 4. The best thing about MTL? The Jazz Festival / 5. Number one music choice: Janis Joplin / 6. Loving Andy Warhol / 7. Everyone needs a little black dress / 8. Gin and tonic with lime, please! / 9. MM byKarine Bassal

What best defines your style?   
I can't say that I am inspired by just one thing or current. Words come to mind: clean, fresh, sharp, crisp, intense, colourful, edgy... these could be use to describe my aesthetic. I love love love artists Andy Warhol and Mark Rothko. As far as personal style, being the mother of an active two year old, I don't feel like I have much of a fashion style these days. But I used to be a bohemian/hippy/rocker-chick all rolled into one!

Karine Bassal, Madonna, oil on canvas, 40 x 40 inches (SOLD)
Photograph taken by Christine GuĂ©rette, Dimension Plus    

Your husband is a musician. Which are your top three songs?
My all-time-favourites-no-matter-what are anything by Janis Joplin, Tori Amos and Rush (Sam Roberts and Led Zeppelin would be numbers 4 and 5... I'm just sayin'). I love these singers/bands because they are classics that I will never get sick of listening to. They make me feel the most like myself! However, when I’m running on the treadmill, my right-now-favourite-songs-but-I-doubt-I'll-be-listening-to-them-20-years-from-now are "Good Feeling" by Flo Rida, "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO and "Moves like Jagger" by Maroon 5.

What is your morning ritual? 
Cheesy but true... my favourite morning ritual is rocking with my son Louka while he drinks his milk and we read books for a half hour. It's a relaxed and snugly way to wake-up and ease into the day before the craziness starts.

What’s the best thing about living in Montreal?
That’s easy: the Jazz Fest. You get awesome shows for free and great people watching guaranteed!

Karine Bassal, La muse (sepia), oil on canvas, 30 x 60 inches (SOLD)
For special orders, please follow the links: Karine Bassal and/or Dimension Plus.


What’s the best fashion-related purchase you have ever made?
My little black strapless dress from Bedo and my 4-inch leopard heels. Oh, and earrings.  Earrings can make you look good with very minimal effort!

Any favourite quotes?  
Gin and tonic with lime, please! (laughs) I’ll go with "In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take, the relationships we were afraid to have and the decisions we waited too long to make..." These are words I live by.

Photograph taken by The Village Gallery

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first interview - I knew it would be great! It captures the essence of Karine very well. Check her website out people, her work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful interview. I look forward to hearing about more artists! Karine Bassal's work is beautiful. The eyes take you right into the soul of the individual. Breaktaking! Who's next on the agenda?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up next, up next... an interview with Keren Blankrot, owner and designer for UpStage Montreal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would also add Rihanna and Cobra Starship to my treadmill soundtrack and another favorite quote from Wayne Gretzky "You miss 100% of the shots you never take", wise words to live by as well! Thanks for the interview Emily, I look forward to chatting with you again soon! Keep up the beautiful blogging :0)

    ReplyDelete